Monday, November 26, 2018

He Did What????

On July 3, 2018 it will be 50 years since Dan jumped into the back set of the car I was in.......
Yep!  You heard me right - that's how this all began.   I was out with a couple of friends and we stopped at a gas station and were startled when a couple of guys came up to our windows, saying we almost ran them off the road - so how are you two tonight.....   Pretty sure we didn't almost run them off the road, it was just their unique line, trying to introduce themselves.  You have to put this 1968 context.  There was nothing menacing about this.  They talked to us for a couple of minutes while the attendant put the gas in the car (that's showing my age),  then left to get back to McDonald's where our other friend was waiting for us.  As we stopped on a dark street for a stop sign, the back door of the car opened and one of those guys jumped into the back seat!  Talking and laughing at his bold way of continuing the conversation, we ended up back at McDonalds with our friend (who a was more than a little surprised with our new passenger).  We talked for hours - all of us.  I was surprised when as we got ready to leave,  each of the guys asked me for my phone number.  I really didn't expect that I would ever hear from them again.  Bright and early the next day, Dan called and asked me out on a date for the next night.  An hour later, his friend, Stu, called.  I explained I had already accepted a date with Dan and didn't think he'd be right to see both of them.  I later found out that Dan and Stu had agreed the night before that whoever asked me out first, the other would back out of the picture, which is why Dan had called so early on the 4th of July.

The next evening I got ready for my date which was suppose to be dinner and a trip to one of the local amusement parks.  I got a call shortly before Dan was suppose to pick me up.  It was Dan's youngest sister, who explained that Dan had asked her to call me and let me know that he was still at work and wouldn't be able to pick me up for a couple more hours.  Since, he had let me know, I didn't feel bad about waiting for him.  About 10 years later, he explained that may not have been completely honest.  He had asked to Susie to call me, explaining that he was going to a couple hours late because he was "still with his boss".  That's  he told me he HAD been with his boss - golfing!  Susie had assumed that when he said "with his boss", that he was still working.  When she called me that's what she relayed!  Had I know that he was on a golf course instead of being on  time to pick me up - I would not have been waiting for him two hours later!  Fortunate for him, it was 10 years later and I even though I was indignant, I could laugh at his "technically" not lying to me!

We had been married almost 20 years before I actually shared that story with my parents!  They would have never let me go out with someone I had met that way.  I told them we met through "a mutual friend".  It had turned out Dan had dated a girl I knew.  So that was my "technically not s lie" about our meeting!  For years our kids wanted to know why we drove so far to a McDonalds when we had passed 3 others on July 3rd.  Dan and I would just look at each other with our knowing smiles.

This is how I met my soulmate.  I'm always intrigued by how relationships began.  Can you comment on how you met your special person!?

No comments:

Post a Comment