Thursday, March 29, 2018

THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES....

When Dan became ill and after the initial shock, we decided that we really needed to approach the time we had left together with a couple of things in mind:  first, to live in the moment.   That  just meant that  the past  was done and over, and the future was something we shouldn't worry about and not focus on.  That the only thing that we could control was the moment we were in.   We could decide how we were reacting to each moment we were in.  So our choice was to cherish each of those moments and make memories out of as many of them as we could.  Second, was not to worry about things that were not important in that moment.  When things would happen, we would ask each other - is this something we need to deal with - is this something we're even in control of - does this even matter?  Kind of "don't sweat the small stuff"!  When faced with that diagnosis, there wasn't much that seemed important!  It helped us to be able to focus those last months on each other and make the most of our time together.  I can honestly say, that nothing was left unsaid between us.   It was recently pointed put to me that I need to remember that those approaches to life  because they are still relevant and a great approach to deal with all the changes in my life.  I've been trying to remember that lately and am starting to feel like I'm applying it more.  Well, I'm proud to say I'm doing it now and that my sense of humor is definitely back!

So, I have this wonderful new apartment that I'm getting ready to move into.  Everything brand new since it was just remodeled.  It is smaller though so I'm not only packing, but downsizing as well.  Now its only been 3 years since we moved to Oregon from Denver, where we had done major downsizing!  So basically, I asked myself 2 questions.  Have I used it since we moved from Denver?  Is this something that brings me joy?    My incredible daughter, Andi, was helping  me would add, "is it something that Devon (her incredible brother) or I would want to keep once you're gone too".  Sometimes that was the deciding factor!  I also found out that were a few things I gotten rid of in the last move that she was very,very sad about.  It's an interesting perspective and not a bad guideline.

As Andi was taking a final load of Goodwill goodies out to her car, I rushed to help her.    By now there weren't too many clear paths through all the boxes in my apartment, and my story is that a rogue box reached out and grabbed my ankle and down I went.  Its amazing how many stupid thoughts can go through your mind in such a short time!  Like "oh this is going to hurt",  "hope I don't break my nose this time",  "I need to get back up before Andi sees me" or "why am I such a klutz"!  The best thought was that "this is going to be very inconvenient"!   Now that's an understatement!    I knew my wrist hurt the most as I took a quick assessment of my body. As I sat up holding my wrist gingerly, Andi walked back in.  I assured her that yes I did trip but that I was fine. I bounced up, as well as any 66-year-old bounces, and assured her that I was fine. I walked her to her car, all the while explaining to her that I was fine and not to worry.  Did I mention that my daughter is a nurse? Telling a nurse not to worry, especially one that has recently lost her father, is pretty impossible.  Both of my kids have been quite over-protective since Dan passed, but Andi especially.  I assured her that I was fine and that I didn't want her to be late picking the kids up from the school bus.   I had a wrist brace in my drawer and put that on. The brace did help for a little bit.  (Did I mention that this was my right wrist and that I am right-handed!)  I continued to to go back to packing.  I realized that yeah, my wrist was hurting more than just a little bit and sat back down with some ice and realize that that was not helping. After about three hours, I began to realize I definitely needed some help. So I packed myself up into the car and drove the half a block to the hospital. I was very surprised to find that there was no wait in the emergency room. I was taken aback and immediately taken to x-ray.   Andi had call during this process and was more than a little upset with me that I hadn't called her so she could take me to the emergency room.  Before I knew it and she was by my side in the emergency room just in time to hear that it looked like there was a fracture and they were going to splint my wrist.  I was sent home with orders to rest, elevate, ice and pain meds!  Right.....

So move in day found in a half-plaster splint on a very swollen, very painful wrist.  I was actually sore all over!  My right knee and ankle was swollen and my shoulder sore and bruised.   I had hired a couple guys to move the big stuff, thank goodness.  So, Andi, my-son-law, Lee and his cousin, Miguel took care of finishing the few things that still need packed, disconnecting things and cleaning.  They decided I had done this intentionally, so I could point and order!!  Got everything moved and had the walk through at the old place.  I was miserable/excited??  Andi and Lee got me fed and set up  in my recliner with ice packs and several more in the freezer, drugs water and tv remote close by.  Not the way I had imagined my first night in my new home!

Well, it's a couple of weeks from that rough start!  I'm basically settled in.   I'm in a beautiful purple cast and hopefully will be out of it this week.  These are the things I've learned or have had confirmed:
1.  Thumbs are very important!
2.  Wrists aren't worth a darn when they don't bend!
3.  I am not ambidextrous!!
4.  I don't really rock the "natural" look!

I'll probably be in a brace for awhile, but if I could have my thumb, it would make a huge difference! I can't even stamp!!!!   I can't color while I watch tv!  Showering is a challenge.  Most boxes are empty now, but there's a lot of finishing touches I need to do, like putting  up pictures, etc.  It could've been so much worse!  I think I'll try to avoid multi-tasking for awhile.  You know - walking and breathing at the same time seemed to be a little challenging for me!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment